We’ve all heard that it’s important to save for a rainy day. But what about saving for the many sunny days, weeks, months and years you hope to enjoy after retirement. Financial experts say the best time to start that saving process was yesterday. But for GenX unmillennials, there’s still time to start today.
In today’s episode of the podcast, I interview Scott Greenberg, a Certified Financial Planner, to discuss the aspects of risk management and wealth accumulation that are most important to our generation. We cover:
- Why financial planning NOW is so important for GenX and other unmillennials
- When is the best time to make financial planning a priority
- What constitutes risk management, including Long Term Disability Insurance, Life Insurance and Long Term Care Insurance
- Ways to easily calculate a starting number for the amount of Life Insurance needed
- The difference between “risk management” planning and planning for “wealth accumulation for retirement”
- The red flags everyone should look for in terms of their financial planning investments
- What should families who are strapped for cash do when there doesn’t seem to be any money to save for the future?
- How our generation differs from our parents and grandparents in terms of our responsibility to save for retirement
To close out the show, I take a turn to a completely different (and less stable) investment — Bitcoin (or more generically, cryptocurrencies.) Sharing my very basic understanding of Bitcoin, I give listeners a preview into how it works, why they need to know about it and how Bitcoin owners can tap into its value for purchase (with a bonus cautionary tale of the volatility of Bitcoin.) To provide me feedback on Bitcoin, Financial Planning for GenX or simply share a topic idea for the show, listeners can Tweet Me @ReganJonesRD, leave me a voicemail OR join the This Unmillennial Life Facebook Group and let me know what you think!
As always, thank you for listening, subscribing and sharing with a friend! Listeners tell me it’s the kind of podcast you want to tell your girlfriends about. So if you haven’t done that, please share!
Thanks for subscribing. If you enjoy the show, please leave a review!
Until next time,
This week’s episode is sponsored by HealthyAperture.com — the web’s first and only dietitian-curated recipe discovery site.