Classic Chocolate Pound Cake gets a gluten-free makeover in this Gluten-Free Classic Chocolate Pound Cake recipe the whole family will love.
If you’ve checked your podcast player, you know by now there’s no new episode today.
I pressed hard to get last week’s Juuling episode out as soon as possible out in light of the FDA breaking news banning the sale of flavored e-cigarettes in locations accessible to teens. Originally I had it slated for today thinking you might need – like I do – a break to get caught up on podcasts that were piling up.
So, here’s our break.
Next week, you’ll find a brand spanking new episode in your feed as I begin to wind down the 2018 episodes and prep for 2019.
In the meantime, here’s the blog equivalent of The Pound Cake Episode, just in time to kick off your holiday baking season.
The Pound Cake Backstory
My Mawmaw Ween (my dad’s mom) had it going on in the baking department. She was a “from-scratch, spoon-and-scrape your flour, only use a liquid measuring cup for liquids, by the book” kinda cook.
And she made Classic Chocolate Pound Cake years before you and I were ever born. A few years ago when I first posted this recipe for Gluten-Free Classic Chocolate Pound Cake to Healthy Aperture there was a LENGTHY debate among my friends and followers about whether or not Pound Cake could or should have icing.
I’m sure of two things based on Mawmaw Ween’s pound cake of the past.
It can have icing.
And it should have icing.
Now, to be transparent and on the up-and-up in this pound cake conversation… my grandmother’s classic chocolate pound cake wasn’t topped with a traditional Icing or Frosting, by most people’s standards. Hers was a uniquely creative spin on both Icing and Frosting… here’s how my Aunt describes the process:
She’s right… it is a masterpiece — one that I recreated for The Recipe ReDux a few years ago and I am happy to share here with you now.
Happy Holidays to each and every one of you! May this be a time when you recall many happy holiday memories past and make many more for the future!
Gluten Free Classic Chocolate Pound Cake
Pound cake gets a makeover with this Gluten-Free Classic Chocolate Pound Cake recipe.
- Yield: 1 pound cake 1x
- Category: Desserts
- 12 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour (I used King Arthur)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground flax meal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon high-quality unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup chocolate buttercream frosting, at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Coat bottom and sides of a loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Cream butter and sugar; add eggs one at a time, beating with each addition. Sift flour, flax meal, baking powder, salt, and cocoa together (then, according to Mawmaw’s recipe you need to sift 3 more times. I don’t normally do this with cakes, but did this time).
- Add flour and milk to creamed butter alternately, beginning and ending with flour and beating after each addition. Add vanilla. Beat on medium-low for 2 minutes, stopping to scrape bowl down as needed. Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 50 to 60 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool in pan on a wire rack 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove cake from pan. Carefully spoon frosting by heaping tablespoons over top of cake, gently smoothing to edges. Let frosting melt over top and sides of cake creating a thin icing.
Like this recipe? Subscribe to This Unmillennial Life via email to get new recipes notifications delivered straight to your inbox.
Before you go… Check out more of my GLUTEN FREE DESSERTS:
© This Unmillennial Life ® by Regan Jones. All images & content on this site are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or content without my permission.