Put your overripe bananas to good use in this high fiber, gluten free, low-carb breakfast muffin recipe.
The thing I love about these muffins — aside from their yumminess — is that I developed them as a “formula” recipe. Formula recipes are popping up in my stream a lot lately (like here and here), and are simply a skeleton recipe that you can mix/match to create something new each time. You could easily trade out these parts of the recipe with something similar, but different (you know like banana versus applesauce) and come up with a new recipe.
Basic banana muffins may seem sort of commonplace and aren’t the kind of thing you need another new recipe for. But these are different, since they are:
Note what I didn’t say. They’re not low-calorie. But honestly, I’m totally okay with that. While we all know calorie-balance is such an important concept in weight management, so is being satisfied after you eat and staying full ’til your next meal. That’s definitely where these muffins offer an advantage.Print
Low-Carb Banana Muffins
- Yield: 10 muffins 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 3/4 cup sugar or bakeable sugar substitute (I use Swerve)
- 1/2 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup psyllium husk (not powder)
- 2 tablespoons whey protein powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt (optional)
- 2 overripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 10 muffin tins with cupcake wrappers or spray with cooking spray.
- Combine sweetener and next 6 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl; make well in center of ingredients.
- Combine banana, water, oil and eggs, mixing well. Add to dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Spoon batter evenly among muffin tins.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 167
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 119 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 21 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 58 mg
Keywords: low carb