Made by substituting half the sugar with Swerve sweetener and using powdered peanut butter, these no bake oatmeal chocolate cookies are a healthier version of the original recipe but tastes just as good!
After a recent test kitchen session that yielded a reduced-sugar icing that left me almost speechless, I immediately started thinking about other treats I’d been wanting to makeover. These classic no-bake chocolate oatmeal cookies from my childhood were the first ones I thought of.
I have fond memories of being at my Mawmaw Ween’s house as a kid and getting to try out all kinds of homemade goodies. Like me, she served up love in whatever could be baked in a pan.
But not *everything* she shared was a baked good. I remember as a small child her making these no-bake chocolate oatmeal cookies and me loving every bite. As I got older, I don’t recall her making them that much. Maybe it was the fat phobia of the ’90s that pushed them out of her kitchen. I’m not really sure. But I am sure that if she were alive today, my remake of this classic cookie would pass her taste test.
You’ve probably noticed by now that my standard go-to sweetener in my recipes is a combo of half sugar and half Swerve. As I explain on
No Bake Oatmeal Chocolate Cookies
Made by substituting half the sugar with Swerve sweetener and using powdered peanut butter, these no bake oatmeal chocolate cookies are lighter than the original recipe but tastes just as good!
- Yield: 2 dozen cookies 1x
- Category: Dessert
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sweetener*
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1/2 cup powdered peanut butter (such as PB2)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat; add milk. Whisk together sweetener*, cocoa, powdered peanut butter and salt; add to butter mixture and stir until smooth.
- Turn heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a full boil. Boil for one minute, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Add in vanilla and oats; stir until combined.
- Drop by heaping tablespoons onto a parchment or Silpat lined baking sheet. Let cool and store in an airtight container.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 84
- Sugar: 1 g
- Fat: 4.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 9.1 g
- Fiber: 1.4 g
- Protein: 2.5 g
*In all of my recipes, I use a homemade granulated sweetener mixture composed of equal parts granulated sugar and Swerve, granular. Using this ratio cuts the sugar in half and my family loves the taste. If you prefer, you can use all sugar in any of my recipes calling for “granulated sweetener”.
© This Unmillennial Life ® by Regan Jones. All images & content on this site are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or content without my permission.