What if every moment of your adolescence could be captured in a snap? What if every thought you had as a teenager could be sent in a few thumb taps? What if as a pre-teen you’d had 24-hour-a-day, 7-day-a-week access to send a message to every single person you did or did not like in school?
With smartphones in hand, kids today are experiencing a level of constant connectedness the world has never known. Unfortunately, many experts say it’s causing never before seen levels of anxiety and depression and blazing an unintended trail of life-altering digital permanence. What’s a parent to do? Is occasional cell phone monitoring too much? Or not enough?
In today’s episode, I’m interviewing Titania Jordan — nationally-recognized social media, tech expert, CPO of The Bark App and founder of the Facebook group – Parenting Geeks on Call. In this episode we discuss:
- How electronic & social media usage stimulates the same part of the brain as commonly known addictive compounds and why that’s a risk for our children
- The concept of digital permanence and why children need to understand its ramifications at an early age
- Options for parents who don’t want to give their kids a smartphone at an early age
- Why it’s important for parents to be aware of communications on their children’s phone that relate to signs of anxiety, depression, suicide, predatory grooming, etc.
- The reality of “sexting” and how the receiving OR forwarding of related images could be life-changing
- Why a cell phone monitoring option like Bark.us may be a better approach than simply spot checking your child’s phone
I close out today’s show, as the end of Season 1, with a recap of what the This Unmillennial Life Facebook group listed as their most memorable moments from this season of the podcast.
As always, I hope you find this show helpful. If you do, be sure to share it with a friend. Friends that aren’t podcast listeners can now access each full-length show via ReganJonesRD on Facebook.
If you have a show idea you’d like to hear about, let me know and submit a show idea here! Or connect with me via Instagram, Tweet Me @ReganJonesRD, leave me a voicemail, email me regan[at]thisunmillenniallife[dot]com or join the This Unmillennial Life Facebook Group.
Thank you for listening and for subscribing. If you enjoy the show, please leave a review! And if you’ve been listening to the show for a while or are a new listener and have thoughts about what you like/don’t like, I’d love for you to share them with me through this very brief LISTENER SURVEY. Thanks for your feedback!
Until next time,