Classic key lime pie made with sweetened condensed milk gets a taste upgrade with a gingersnap crumb crust. You won’t find a better Key Lime Pie recipe!
It’s so funny to me what people consider a classic pie.
To some, this type of pie, using lime juice and sweetened condensed milk begs for a whipped cream type topping.
I tend to like that topping the best, but here’s the thing… because the filling uses 3 egg yolks it’s PAINFUL to me to think about tossing out those egg whites. So when I was working on this recipe today I knew it needed to be a meringue topped pie, because who — these days — wants to toss out 3 perfectly good egg whites?
If you have use of 3 eggs white, maybe for an omelet or even Forgotten Cookies, then by all means — whip up a batch of whipped cream (or go straight for the store-bought short cut and grab some Cool Whip. I won’t tell.) Either way, it’s the tangy and sweet key lime filling sitting piled a top this slightly spicy gingersnap crust that will make you leave you wanting more.Print
Sweetened Condensed Milk Key Lime Pie with Gingersnap Crust
Classic key lime pie made with sweetened condensed milk gets a taste upgrade with a gingersnap crumb crust.
- 1 cup gingersnap crumbs (about 20 small cookies)
- 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime zest
- 1/2 cup Key Lime juice or freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine Crust ingredients, mixing well. Press firmly into bottom and partially up sides of a 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Let cool.
- Whisk together egg yolks (reserve egg whites for meringue), sweetened condensed milk and remaining filling ingredients in a medium-size bowl until well blended. Pour Filling into pie crust.
- Combine reserved egg whites and cream of tartar in a glass or metal bowl; beat at medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar until stiff peaks form; beat in vanilla just until combined.
- Spread Meringue over filling, sealing to edges of crust.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden. Chill before serving.
© This Unmillennial Life ® by Regan Jones.
All images & content on this site are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or content without my permission.